Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Second time around

I cant believe i've been here for over a year. 
On the one hand I feel like I don't really know anything else and I feel totally at home here but on the other hand, a year just seems like a long time.
I am now one of the teachers who have been here the longest and people ask me what to expect before an event because I was there last year, which feels weird coz it seems like the other day I was the one asking what was going on. I've been here for 2 mothers days, 2 sports days and 2 art exhibitions. 
Thankfully, (for me and everyone attending) I was not the MC this year!!


All the teachers with the mayor of Khon Kaen at the Queens Birthday Ceremony.

Things are a lot different the second time around tho. For starters, I didn't sing a Justin Bieber solo at the principals birthday last year. I didn't sing happy birthday to her in afrikaans either!!!

I have quite successfully started a South African village which consists of me, Rose, Adri, Danielle, Jack when he comes to visit, and we met 2 more South African while watching the first rugby game. That was a total surprise! We were sitting at this bar filled with about 15 ancient british and american guys when in walked a young couple. I think we just assumed they were american or something when all of a sudden they start speaking afrikaans. We were very excited. And then we went for dinner afterwards, so I have added them to our village...they dont know this yet tho, hahaha. I also have a Namibian and a Motswana (a motswana, as I recently found out, is what you call a person from Botswana) friend.
 
 Me, Danielle and Rose at the South Africa vs Wales game.
 Adri joining us for the South Africa vs Fiji game.

So Africa is totally taking over!!!

Other things that have changed, I live in a new apartment, I teach older babies, I don't have to rely on public transport anymore!!!!, I go to a different church, I have more than one friend now...friends are always good:D I have a kitten/child :D I am studying and going to thai classes so I no longer live the sabai sabai thai life! Oh and I am now a big rugby supporter..yip, my rugby jersey literally arrived 2 minutes ago!!!

Things that havent changed...i still dont speak taiwanese, lol, if you dont get that or you understand it and think its funny then you are a good friend:)

Other than that nothing huge has happened that I can tell you so I thought i'd share some little stories that have happened to me and that could probably only happen in Thailand, before my next blog post which will be all about my trip to South Korea and then possibly about the RWC final...if we make it...which we will!

My first story, I have called, “It has eyes”

So the other day at home time, 3 of the children were leaving at the same time and there were all these parents standing around and this one kids mother had bought her child a snack which she was busy eating. Being the adorable little munchkin, that I have taught so well, she offered me one. So she poured something out of the packet into my hand and I looked down to see what it was, and to my absolute horror, it was a little baby dried out fish, with eyes and everything. I immediately started freaking out but only inside coz im surrounded by all these parents who are now staring at me. The only thing I could think of saying was, “It has eyes”! And then I put it in my mouth and nearly died! Luckily I had an oreo in my other hand which another one of my students (who after this experience is now my favourite) had bought for snack time, so I turned around and put the oreo into my mouth. You'll all be happy to know, that I survived!

My second story is called, “Oh my Go....”

This story is about how I unintentionally taught my kids to say “Oh my God”.
Read the whole story before you judge me!
So randomly the other day during my english lesson my kids decided they were all going to start saying “Oh my God”, I was absolutely horrified and was like, “No, don't say that”. Which they thought was very funny and so just kept walking around saying “Oh my God” all the time. It kind of died down after awhile, until the other day we were reading a story about a horse stuck in a tree and I said, “Oh my Gosh!” and all the kids (almost in unison, it was quite amazing) were like, “No, dont say that.” and then they laughed and proceeded to all start saying “Oh my God”. And then it hit me, thai people cant say the 'sh' sound so what they're really saying is “Oh my Go.” which just sounds like they're saying God. So then I tried to teach them the 'sh' sound and a couple of the kids can say it but a lot of them still just walk around cursing. So I am trying to stop saying “Oh my gosh” but im struggling. I have however successfully taught a few of my kids “Super Lol”, Im hoping this will catch on rather.

This is not so much a story but just something I saw. Being the rainy season at the moment, most of Thailand is flooded and the potholes in the road have become like little dams in the road, especially on the road that I take to church. So the other day I drove past 3 little kids who were actually SWIMMING in a pothole. Yip, they are that extreme!!

And lastly, I'm famous!! There is a 2 minute video on youtube all about me!!

The principal wanted to record me teaching which I wasnt to happy about so one day, while I was busy doing traffic school she sent me thai co-teacher out with a video camera to record me. Now I need to just explain why I look like angry in the video. It was a hundred degree out, I was one person looking after 20 kids on bicycles, and one of them had just killed a beautiful butterfly. And if I remember correctly, nothing else had gone right that day either. So, knowing that, you may now watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHgvKQrNLs

No comments:

Post a Comment